Make Things, Fail, Get Better!

Do you ever just feel like you have so much inside your mind that you know can be beautiful but it comes out and doesn't look at all like what you imagined? I know I do! If you feel that way watch this video, because it just captured so perfectly in words how I feel all the time.

I go through a process where I'll just be in a rut for a while. I'll want to make things but just don't feel like what I create matches what I know I can do! I always feel like I can do better. When I start to just make things all the time and take pictures all the time I can see the progress and it's so exciting and I jump out of the little rut that's been holding me and it's great! And then I hit a creative wall and trip and fall back into that rut.

So how do you build a bridge and walk over the ruts instead of falling captive to their powers?

In the words of Dory from Finding Nemo, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming." I've learned that if you keep going, even if you're making something not so great, you'll learn something and it will lead to something that is great! It's such an exciting yet frustrating process!

Right now what I really want to become good at hand lettering. Holy moly it is hard! I just keep drawing the most ugly letters I've ever seen. Luckily I know it's those ugly letters that make the little stepping stones to get me across rut-ville into sweet beautiful hand lettering paradise! 


No comments:

Post a Comment